Followers

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Blessings


Greetings!  My post today is entitled Blessings.  It is for the current challenge over at Inkspirational where we are challenged to create a project that is inspired by the gorgeous photo below.  

Before I continue talking about my card, I wanted to let you know, as valued friends, that my dear husband who has been battling cancer these past ten years, has suffered with several strokes this past week.  He is home now, and recovering.  Progress is slow, but we have much to be thankful for.  He can still see, talk and walk though the has lost use of his one hand.  As artists, we use our hands nearly every day in delight of our quest to create art.  How thankful I am for each day I still have this tactile function.  The doctor thinks with time and hard work he will regain use of his hand, so are thankful for that as well.  


For my card, I began with an 8 x 8 card base, which I distressed with Spiced Marmalade and Vintage Photo Distress Inks.  I spritzed and flicked a bit of water on as well.  The beautiful image in the center of my wreath is from Gecko Galz.

The wreath was made from several die cuts and Grunge Board, all by Tim Holtz Alterations and Idea-ology. The pieces were painted with Ranger Rock Candy Crackle Paint and then using the Colored Crackle process I learned in Creative Chemistry 102, I blended various Distress Paints with a Blender Tool onto the pieces.  Next I used Tea Dye Distress Stain.  I think Vintage Photo Distress Stain would have been gorgeous, but alas, I do not have one.  

The pieces were assembled in a circle around the focal image.  A filigree metal corner, a complimentary piece from Linda Coughlin with an order from The Funkie Junkie Boutique and a vintage seam binding bow came next.  A simple sentiment by Gecko Galz completes my card. 

I hope you will pop over to Inkspirational to see what the rest of the Design team have dreamed up to inspire you and then consider joining us for our challenge!  Thank you so much for dropping by today my friends.  Love, Yvonne

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Yvonne! What a creative take on the wreath picture. I like the layering with the leaves and pumpkins. A great fall look!
- Shauna

Nonni said...

Hi Yvonne, your card is really beautiful, I love the muted, earthy colors and the harmonious feel of the card. Thank you for sharing the news of your husband. This must have been a really hard week for him and for you all. My best thoughts and wishes for you and your husband. xx

Marina said...

Yvonne, I've emailed you about your news about your husband's health.

Your card is gorgeous and I had to read through to find out how you got the fabulous rustic effect with the grunge paper etc. Must try.
Marina

sandie said...

Yvonne, I am thinking of you at this time and will pray for you and your DH. Your card is full of wonderful colours amd warmth x

Nikki said...

Hi Yvonne. I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Please know I'm thinking of you both.
You have created a lovely card for this challenge. I love the colours and texture you have used. I have some of that grungeboard tucked away in my stash. I'll have to make a note to use it sometime soon.

Nikki

Terry said...

Yvonne, your card is so lovely and the wreath of Autumn leaves framing the image! I am so sorry to hear of your husbands health challenge and I pray for a full recovery. I can only imagine how difficult this must be for you. Sending lots of good thoughts!

Maryanne said...

I hope your husband mends quickly, Yvonne. I'm so sorry to hear of his illness this past week.
Your card is gorgeous. The image is beautiful and I love the layering of the pumpkins, leaves and acorns.

Kay Wallace said...

Sweet Yvonne, I am so sorry to hear that your husband, and, therefore, you have had such a difficult recently. I am glad that he is back home and will be working on mending over the coming weeks. Prayers for your family going up from Boston this morning.

I love how you see the brighter side of this difficult journey and can appreciate the steps forward and the blessing of healing in your art today. It is strikingly beautiful--perhaps because it is filled with such great emotion. Hugs, Kay

Words and Pictures said...

How hard things must have been this week... I'm so pleased to hear that there are so many positive signs in your husband's recovery, and to hear you counting blessings is really moving. I wish you both luck and love in the days ahead.

And what a lovely autumn garland, Yvonne... beautiful work too.

Sorry I've not been around much. The big move (clearing and leaving the family home of 40 years) knocked me out, but I'm looking forward to some proper catching up over the next days and weeks.
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful way to frame that image Yvonne.
I am dreadfully sorry to read the latest news of your husband. Many times you will come into my mind, wondering how your husband's health is progressing but I didn't imagine I would read this.
So glad there is encouragement although as you say, with hard work and determination.
With you at his side, I say anything is possible.
Sending you a bundle of warm wishes that the following days bring progress to your dear husband.
Lynne

Pia S said...

You've put so much work into each die cut piece of the wreath, and your efforts really show - the wreath turned out so beautiful!
Sending my best wishes for your husband.

Unknown said...

what a nice card for halloween!
canvas